Ajax, state of the art
by Tarek Ziade, from Nuxeo
Works on CPS, a CMS for Zope. He is in charge of Ajax there.
What is Ajax?
Examples: del.icio.us, flickr, digg, Google Mail.
Bad things to say about AJAX:
- Search enginges won't index your website right
- The back button is broken.
- Several others
These can be true, but you can work around it, except for the back button.
Choose a good toolkit. Lots of choices.
- Azax. Young project. Keep an eye on it.
Low level client side frameworks (CSF).:
- Test drive development doable.
- Ready to use
- Community. We choose the low level client side frameworks (CSF) as everyone seems to do that.
Ajax good practices
- Accessibility still matters. Keep it gracefully degrading your UIs. Blind people don't care about Ajax.
- It does bring pleasure.
- Practice OO Programming, e.g. with help from Mojikit or other moders toolkits. Reuse.
CPS Ajax goodies
Ajax is not a revolution, but it is nice
You can try it without frameworks, but frameworks help smooth away differences between browsers.