Keynote talk by Mark Pieszak at the Plone Conference 2017 in Barcelona.
[Sorry Mark, I came in late.]
SSR = server side rendering
Create an app.module.ts and an app.server.module.ts
- Static SSR is done at build time.
- Dynamic SSR is done at run time.
- If you use window or document, the server does not know what to do: this only lives in the browser. If you must, create a WindowService and use dependency injection to provide different versions. Use isPlatformBrowser() as much as possible. Hide things from node. Not all parts need a server version.
- Be careful with timeouts, because they will let your server wait.
- Universal makes SEO possible.
- Universal gives really fast initial painting of your app, and you keep the interactivity. Can be two to three times faster on mobile.
- Be mindful of browser-specific things you might be using in your code.
- Choose third party libraries carefully, as they need to be mindful of the pitfalls as well.
- It takes a bit of work, but it is worth it